Published on January 14th, 2015 | by Fifties
1. Hello Will. Thanks for letting us do this interview – with a busy winter season and a man of the world, you recently got back from Hong Kong. Can you tell us a bit about what you were doing there?
I was over DJing for Ministry of Sound at Volar – it was a great party, one of my favourites this year, although I’ve since been to Cairo and Helsinki, and I’ve just been in Nairobi for another Ministry gig at the Treehouse Club, so its getting some competition! Its been a crazy year for air miles to be honest!
2. You are well known for you collaborations with Pete Jordan – How did you crazy cats get together?
We’d known each other for years through both playing at The Bomb in Nottingham, and one day we had a session in the studio, and it just sort of clicked nicely! We both come from being into hip hop then getting into dance music so we’ve got similar outlooks and tastes I think
3. How has 2014 been for Weird Science and what are you looking forward to in 2015?
Weird Science is on a bit of a sabbatical really – we had my Why They Trippin release at the start of 2014 that did really well, but running a label is very time consuming and we’ve both got a lot going on so its been very much on the back burner since that release!
4. What, in your opinion, is the best record ever made?
Marvin Gaye – What’s Going On. Musically impeccable, lyrically intelligent and insightful, beautiful performances throughout. About as close to perfection as I think a record can get.
5. What is your most embarrassing claim to fame?
Hmmm, well I have been to see Simply Red multiple times as the guest of Mick Hucknall as my dad used to teach him at Manchester Polytechnic. Not sure thats exactly a claim to fame though! I was briefly on screen in a recent Night at The Apollo BBC show, just behind Jamila and next to Linford Christie! But then that wasn’t very embarrassing, it was just my ugly mug chuckling away at some jokes.
6. What is the best gig you have ever played and why?
That would have to be the main stage at Global Gathering this summer – the experience of going in front of that many people was just something that’s hard to describe really.
7. What did you last treat yourself to?
Haha, I had chips and cheese with gravy last night when I got in, does that count? I bought myself a GoPro before the Helsinki & Cairo trip, loving that at the moment!
8. What is the coolest thing you own?
I’ve got Darth Vader’s autograph. Seriously. I met him in a toy shop in Buxton in the early 80s, he picked me up by the scruff of my neck and said “What’s your name”? So I now have a piece of paper with a (slightly camp) picture of Darth Vader that says “To Will, from Darth Vader”.
9. And geekiest?
Haha, see above I guess! But other than that, probably the scratch practice pad I used to use, its like a block of wood with felt on it, and a pie-slice of a record, for practicing record control!
10. If you had a Tardis, where would you go?
Oooooh….. Hmm, thats a tricky one. But I think that I’d like to have been at Wembley in 1966, don’t imagine I’ll get to see England win the World Cup in my lifetime!
Check out Santero’s latest project coming soon on Grin Records: