It’s been quite a while now since Kid Kenobi brought us volume 1 of his incredible ’20 Years a Kid The Mixtapes’. The idea behind these mixtapes is to give love to the tunes and the different sounds and styles that’s aided his journey from day one and throughout his career.
Volume 1 started at where it all began for him in 1996 and went through to 1998 and after finely tuning volume 2 with a selection of tracks from 1998 to 2000, here it is in all it’s glory.
The one thing that stands out in Kid Kenobi’s new mix is just how funky the tunes were back then, especially with Big Beat arriving on the scene and shaking up the party. His new mix is littered with classic cuts that’ll awaken many memories from back in the day when Breaks had groove and plenty of Funk. After the first two volumes of this mix series, it looks where in for one hell of a ride when the next volumes are dropped!
Link for Kid Kenobi :
01. Gimmie the Funk – Krafty Kuts
02. What is a Party? – MOOG
03. General Funk – General Narco / I See You Baby (Acappella) – Groove Armada
04. Purple Daze (white label)
05. Magic’s Wand (Freestyler’s Phat Party Vocal Mix) – Whodini
06. B-Boy Breakdown – Pepe Deluxe
07. Trans-Am – Kings of the Wild Frontier
08. Rockin’ – A Touch of Class
09. Rock (The Grand Finale) – DJ Spinna
10. Ooh La La – The Wiseguys
11. Let’s Have Scratch for Breakfast – Skeewiff
12. Here We Go (Plump DJ’s Remix) – Freestylers
13. B-Boy Stance (Dub Pistols Club Mix) – Freestylers
14. Talkin all that Jazz (Torti’s Bonus Breaks and Edits) – Stetsasonic
15. Phun-ky – DJ Tonka